For enrolled students, CHEK ABC provides a student allowance to support all learning activities that have been outlined in the Student Learning Plan. This is a learning plan that is created with agreement between the parent and teacher.
A family is issued a Purchase Order number (PO#) and given the option of joining our Librarium to begin accessing materials. With a PO#, a family is able to:
- Have access to a student allowance to pay for third party purchases and activities (such as: Music lessons, PE classes, Art lessons, etc.)
- Request a librarium membership and begin to borrow books and resources
- Sign up for local activities, classes, programs or services
- Access online resources and equipment leases available to CHEK ABC students
For registered students, CHEK ABC provides an educational stipend to help cover the costs of resources. Parents submit receipts to claim this reimbursement.
CHEK ABC partners with parents to select comprehensive resources that are:
- Easy to navigate and implement
- Suited for multi-age
- Meets Ministry of Education requirements
BC’s curriculum was redesigned in 2016 to respond to the demanding world our students are entering. For full information on the new curriculum, visit the BC curriculum website:
At CHEK ABC we value Living and Learning in Community. There are many benefits students can acquire as they grow and learn within a community.
- Relationships are key in helping students understand the world around them and how they fit into their community.
- Place-based learning immerses students in local heritage, cultures, landscapes, opportunities and experiences.
- Critical thinking skills develop as students experience authentic and real-life learning.
- Personalized learning activities adapt to an individual student’s needs.
- Students are also able to give back to their own community through service and active participation.
How do CHEK ABC students live and learn in community?
- Engaging at-home resources and programs
- Community outreach events
- Local field trips and CHEK ABC Learning Centres
- Serving at community events
- Engaging in multi-generational activities
- Guest speakers and workshops
- Multi-graded learning workshops
- Church and youth group activities
- Sports training and events
In various communities throughout BC, blended learning options may be offered. Blended Learning provides the opportunity for students to continue their studies at home, while having the option for some classroom based experience. Teachers co-ordinate and arrange for learning and activities that meet the needs and interests of students and parents. This includes academic or elective classes, cross-curricular camps, local workshops and special activities.
Blended learning opportunities provided in:
- Nelson (West Kootenay Region) – CHEK ABC local activities are offered through Nelson Christian Community school!
Learning from home is flexible! Students have many options for how they will achieve their learning goals, including online learning. CHEK ABC offers several options for those who wish to have electronic support in their educational programs.
- Online Subscriptions – CHEK ABC offers FREE or REDUCED COST subscriptions to several online resources including:
- Mathletics – Canada’s #1 Math website that is fully aligned with BC curriculum.
- RAZ Kids – Online guided, leveled reading program that supports developing reading skills in a sequential way.
- Mango languages – For second language students in grades 5-9, students may request a subscription to this language learning platform.
- Qwerty Town – A web-based keyboarding app that teaches typing and online communication skills.
- Tynker – A platform where children not only learn to program, but also have opportunities to be creative using code.
- IXL Math – Online learning, offering unlimited, algorithmically generated questions; real-time analytical reports; and dynamic scoring to encourage mastery.
- Reading Eggs – Makes the learning to read journey fun, interactive, and highly rewarding for ages 2–13.
- NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS are being offered on a regular basis.
- Families can request certain subscriptions relevant to their SLPs
- Grade 9 Online Courses – Students in Grade 9 can choose to take online courses in their core subject areas.
- High school courses – CHEK ABC provides all materials for Grades 10-12 students to take core and elective courses. Most courses are available online and students access them through our Moodle access portal. Textbooks are loaned to students for the duration of the course. Funds are available to cover the cost of elective materials and PE fees. There is flexible course completion, so students can enroll, start and complete at any time of the school year.
CHEK ABC utilizes a centralized purchasing system and highly encourages families to access the Librarium to borrow non-consumable resources. This frees up additional Third Party funds to be used on lessons, activities, etc.
Parents also have the option of sourcing their own materials for home learning. CHEK ABC encourages using Purchase Orders for Third Party activities and consumable resources only.
Purchase Order numbers are provided only to families who require them and can be used to purchase what is needed from any of our listed vendors. If you want to use a vendor not represented on the list, please ask and we can make arrangements to add them.
CHEK ABC can pay for required activities directly. This includes activities such as athletic, music, or art lessons in the community. Instructors bill CHEK ABC directly for fees using our easy billing form.